Monday, May 25, 2015

Gardening!

I didn't think I would garden this year.  After all, where would the time come from?  And since we moved last summer, we would have to start from scratch.  However, after I did some planting in the front, I remembered how therapeutic getting my hands in the dirt is, and decided to go for it.  Not to mention how wonderful all of the home grown produce is.

Then I began to stress out.  Ryan's work schedule is crazy winter and spring.  Really, really crazy.  I don't have time for laundry, let alone setting up gardens.  And we're sick.  I didn't feel like setting up gardens, but we had to, because the window for planting is closing fast.  Therefore, sick or not, we got it done this weekend.  I can't talk, I can't breathe, and I'm coughing up a storm, but thanks to my husband's encouragement, we got through it.




I found the boxes for a steal on Craigslist, and the trellises are inspired by Pinterest, but in the end, are of our own design (not that someone else doesn't have one just like it, but I haven't seen them if they do).  I'm so excited, and so glad we got it done!  We just need to add a bit more soil, and we'll plant!  Hopefully they'll all be planted by the end of the week.

We also bought a praying mantis egg sack.  It's supposed to contain 100-200 praying mantis eggs that will hatch in 2-3 weeks and help control bugs.  Hurray for chemical free pest control!  And it's just cool.



They're incubating in this paper bag on the kitchen window sill.  Once they hatch we'll take them out and sprinkle them on the garden and landscaping out front.


I'm learning that, although, as a mother of four children, there isn't enough time to do everything, as the mom of children with special needs, it's even more intense.  Setting up the gardens pressured me even more, but I'm hoping that planting and harvesting will provide a much needed outlet when the stress starts to overwhelm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment